Thursday, July 12, 2007

the geek gift

I am dictating this blog entry using mother's birthday present: a copy of Dragon NaturallySpeaking software. When I asked her last week what she wanted for her birthday she said, "I'm glad you asked because I know exactly what I want" - it was a true geek gift.

I might add that it was not a cheap geek gift, but it is very cool. The software arrived in the mail today and she had it installed by the time I got home from work. It takes about 15 minutes for a user to train (that is,teach the software how to recognize your voice) and you are up and running.

As I dictate this I am wearing a very geeky headphone with a microphone attached. It is really quite remarkable. If I speak clearly and at medium speed it types everything I say into the computer without any errors. It works in almost any Windows application, including the Internet browser in which I am dictating this blog.

Maybe I will start keeping a journal!

3 comments:

Sister Abby Bowler said...

I've heard about this! Can't wait to see it and try it out, too!
See you soon, Ada

Lizzie said...

that is awesome! Way to go Mom, that is a great gift!

Holly said...

Geeks are the best.