We have been sitting in Penn Station for nearly two hours, as our train remains at the Sunnyside Yard with mechanical difficulties. I have been responding to emails, working on a presentation, and ultimately had to find a place to plug in my laptop. But this is the bad news.
Here is the good news: this morning we went for a run in Manhattan, up Fifth Avenue to Central Park. There were a lot of runners out, but I didn't think much about it until I started running around the Reservoir - the crowds were thick, and the path often blocked by clusters of foreign-speaking runners posing for photographs with the lake and the NYC skyline in the background. Then it dawned on me - the Olympic trials are tomorrow and the New York City Marathon is Sunday! It was amazing. The crowds continued to grow, with groups as large as 50 running together with matching shirts. After being passed by several groups wearing blue vests reading "Italia" I finally said "chiao" to the next group, who responded with a cheerful "chiao!" Running with hundreds upon hundreds of marathoners here for the biggest marathon in the world (38,000 runners) was energizing, to say the least!
So here is hoping our train comes soon - or we can reticket to another train!
No comments:
Post a Comment