Tuesday, January 13, 2009

My Favorite Podcasts

The best thing about iTunes is free podcasts. With a marathon coming up, I am running 6-8 hours a week. Add to that another 30 minutes of commuting, and I need new listening material every day. I listen to the entire Book of Mormon on my iPod every year (free download from www.lds.org). But I keep things changing with a variety of podcasts. Here are my favorites:

DAILY:
NYT Front Page - a 5-minutes summary of the front page every morning
NPR 7:00 a.m. ET News Summary - the headline stories on NPR every morning
NPR Story of the Day - yesterday's best story
NPR Business Story of the Day

I listen to these on my way to work every morning. That way I get the major national news and couple of major stories before I arrive at the office.

In addition, these are my regular listens:
Grammar Girl's Quick and Dirty Tips for Better Writing (weekly)
Get-It-Done Guy's Quick and Dirty Tips to Work Less and Do More (weekly)
NPR Driveway Moments (the very best of NPR)
Money Girl's Quick and Dirty Tips for a Richer Life
NPR The Color of Money (Michelle Singletary - one of the few financial commentators that thinks like I do...)
NPR Krulwich on Science
NPR StoryCorp (wonderful live interviews with unknown people)
The Nutrition Diva's Quick and Dirty Tips for Eating Well and Feeling Fabulous
60-Second Science (daily)

There are, of course, lots more. The latest episode of the News from Lake Wobegon. Car Talk's Question of the Week. Walks of a Lifetime. NPR's Present at the Creation.

Best of all: they're all free (or should I say, included with the price of an iPod).

No comments: