Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Oh, what a beautiful morning.

Unfortunately I'm battling shin splints again and skipped my morning run.
Fortunately I got to sleep in until 7:15.
Unfortunately that only left an hour to get Eliza snuggled, dressed, fed, lunch packed, backpack organized and out the door.
Fortunately she slept in her clothes!
Unfortunately while I was busy with Eliza, the twins pushed a chair up to the kitchen counter.
Fortunately they didn't break the glass bowl of oatmeal they were after.
Unfortunately Benjamin did find a permanent marker hidden "out of reach" and colored all over the calendar, counter, and microwave.
Fortunately he didn't color on his clothes and I think the rest of the damage can be fixed with a M.agic Eraser.
Unfortunately I'm fresh out of M.agic Erasers due to previous artistic endeavors by Benjamin on other hard surfaces around our house.
Fortunately Ashton slept through most of this.
Unfortunately when he did wake up he was soaking wet because I forgot to put his pull-up on last night.
Fortunately he was due for a bath anyway.
Unfortunately the plastic liner wasn't on his mattress.
Fortunately I have a can of Lysol spray.
Unfortunately Eliza's bus was late and Ashton was stranded in the now cold bath while I waited with Eliza on the back porch.
Fortunately we have a new water heater with plenty of hot water to rectify the situation enough to wash his hair and finish the bath.
Unfortunately Benjamin had been walking around with a dirty diaper for most of the morning.
Fortunately the warm bath was ready and waiting.
Unfortunately I'd left the diaper go so long in had leaked down his legs and was everywhere.
Fortunately I had a load of sheets and blankets in the washing machine to which I could add the dirty pajamas.
Unfortunately while I was attending to the laundry, Benjamin dumped out the entire bottle of shampoo into the bath water.
Fortunately it made a nice bubble bath to wash with.
Unfortunately he also had a bowel movement in the tub.
Fortunately we have plenty of hot water and a bottle of C.lorox clean-up.
Unfortunately while the twins were waiting on the bath mat for me to disinfect the tub and bath toys, Benjamin entertained Kate by wetting on the rug.
Fortunately I have a washing machine.
Unfortunately it was already full with sheets, blankets, and pajamas.

Fortunately I skipped running this morning and slept instead because I needed the extra rest!

Fortunately I have kids that keep me moving even when I don't get my usual work-out.

And fortunately they are cute enough that I love them anyway!




(A note on the pictures:
they are from two previous counter-top escapades. Amazingly, Kate was wearing that same dress this morning. The ragamuffin begs to wear her vintage dress everyday . . . maybe it gives her super-toddler counter-climbing powers! What's a mom to do?)


8 comments:

Sara said...

Oh Ann! I've alwasy wondered what life was like for you now. This was perfect! Love it! Far cry from the quiet quiet days you had with just Eliza.
Thanks for sharing......I'm glad there ended up being more fortunate things than unfortunate!

Lizzie said...

OH MY GOSH! I can't believe that! Oh my goodness! ALL IN ONE MORNING?!

KHH said...

That's why we call them "terrific twos"!!!

KHH said...

And you have 2 x 2!!!

Sister Abby Bowler said...

Unbelievable! And you lived to tell about it!

Waggoner Family said...

That made me laugh out loud! I go through those days too!

Holly said...

Ay yi yi! Maybe the book is a metaphor for this part of parenting.

After the whole haystack/pitchfork incident: "Unfortunately there were sharks in the water. Fortunately he could swim. Unfortunately there were tigers on the land. Fortunately he could dig."

Or, in your case, run. Run, Ann, RUN!!

I can't believe you have that dress and that Kate can wear it. I worship that!

itchandscratch said...

Ann, Ann, you're my hero. Motherhood is an adventure!