Friday, April 25, 2008

Parting is such sweet sorrow... Not!







A quick tour of the house turned up the above collection of Nalgenes, including one new one in storage, just in case. Can it be that we are to part with these? Can we really trust any substitute? These are not just water bottles, they are not even "Nalgene bottles," they are simply "Nalgenes." They are the world standard. An entire industry has been built around their design, from filters to insulators. They have been to the top of Everest and to the South Pole; we have carried them to the bottom of the Grand Canyon, shoved them into fully loaded backpacks, filled them with water alive with little wigglies or awash with silt. We have depended on them and drunk from them the elixer of life (aka Gatorade), and they have never failed us. Are we then to simply turn our back on them after two decades and march another direction? Say it ain't so!

4 comments:

Lizzie said...

All those nalgenes look so pretty.

Ann Rowan said...

What are you going to do with them all? DI? Trash bin? Burial plot in the back yard?

Sister Abby Bowler said...

I vote for the burial plot. You should send the photo to Nalgene for an ad.

Clark B. Hinckley said...

I can't bring myself to bury them. For now, they are still in the kitchen cupboard - and still in use. I have not yet been able to find a 32 oz. replacement in stock. Maybe I could eventually put them in a shadow box...