Sunday, September 21, 2008

Buddy Comes Back to Greyhaven


Buddy Mondlock's return to Greyhaven was a much anticipated event, and no one was dissapponted. I spent Friday night at the cabin, and Spencer came up Saturday morning to set up the sound equipment (did I mention that Greyhaven now has its own sound system?), move the furniture, etc. Buddy showed up about 4:30 p.m. in his Subaru, filled with the accumulation of weeks on the road.

With Buddy on site, we did a sound check and fine tuned the system to his liking. He then offered to do a sound check for Spencer (who was opening for Buddy).

Buddy seemed genuinely glad to see us and wanted to hear all about the family, and told us all about his. We were certainly happy to welcome him back to Greyhaven.

It was a dark and stormy night - several waves of rain rolled over the canyon, including some hail - but spirits were not dampened. We had a pot of Momma Kath's famous chili prepared for the guests, who came drifting in around 7:00 p.m. Anke Summerhill, the local singer-songwriter, brought a plate of fruit and cheese; Cori Conners brought some homemade pumpkin loaf; Whitney and Jane brought Anna. Blake and Amy returned with special memories - things had first clicked for them on the bridge two years ago at Buddy's concert!

At 7:30 Spencer welcomed the crowd and started the night with a couple of Chuck Pyle covers (Sedona Ramona and Colorado) as a promo for next month's concert. That's right, Spencer opened for Buddy Mondlock. There's something for the resume! After his set, he turned the microphone over to Buddy. Here is the playlist:

The Leaving
Cats of the Coliseum
Magnolia Street
Fence in the Storm
Mud
Nobody Knows Nothing
New Jersey Sunset
You Had Decided to Leave Me
The Birds
Westbound Fast Lane
[Intermission]
The Principle of Uncertainty
Coming Down in the Rain
What Do I Know?
The Simple Touch
Stranger in a Strange Land
Cowboys Born Out of Their Time
Poetic Justice (with harmonies by Brianna!)
The Laughing Woman
Sara Kills the Day
The Kid
No Choice
I Count You My Friend (encore)

It was a full house of music lovers - and Buddy successfully recreated the magic of that great 2006 concert. But how can you go wrong when Buddy Mondlock comes to your cabin and sings The Kid, standing right there on the rug! Buddy, we feel fortunate to count you our friend!

Next up: Chuck Pyle on October 17th. See House Concerts at Greyhaven for details.

4 comments:

Lizzie said...

Sounds like the perfect night! Oh to be at a cabin concert on a rainy fall evening. Congrats to Spencer - what a rockstar!

Joseph said...

How come every time I move out of the state, Spencer grows a beard?

Ali said...

I was in southern Utah with my Geology class that day, and I was so sad to miss the concert. So when I got home late that night I hit play on iTunes and listened to him in my room. It wasn't as exciting; it actually made me more sad that I missed it. And Spence opened? That is too fun. As of now, I'm still planning on concert number two.

KHH said...

The Cincinnati Lesans and Grammie missed you all so very much, but we are glad to welcome little Matt into the family. Here's to a new generation of folk musicians...xoxm