Friday, March 12, 2010

The Outer Banks

The Wright Brothers National Memorial:Flying at the base of the very windy First Flight Monument:

Jumping down the sand dunes at Jockey's Ridge:

Taking the Junior Ranger pledge:

Cape Hatteras Light:
Other adventures not pictured: Flying kites on the sand dunes, beach, and Wright Brothers monument. Collecting shells, collecting more shells, sorting shells, returning at least 20 pounds of shells back to the beach, and bringing at least as many home with us. Watching a pod of dolpins swim and jump and dive along the shore not more than 100 feet away from us. Earning Junior Ranger patches at four different parks: Wright Brothers, Cape Hatteras National Seashore, Fort Raleigh, and Jockey's Ridge Sand Dunes. Riding the ferry to Ocracoke Island to see the most distant light house on our Sunday lighthouse drive (which included three lights total and one Junior Ranger patch). Swimming in the pool at the resort. Swimming in the jacuzzi tub in the condo. Eating fresh fish. Being together and playing for six straight days. Hooray for spring break!

5 comments:

Sister Abby Bowler said...

oh, it looks so wonderful! what fun!

KHH said...

It´s in his genes. Park Rangers have been big in our life for as long as I can remember. "People are people" and "colorful rocks miraclously lifted up flat..." just to name a few Park Ranger talks. Remember when you girls all wanted to be a Park Ranger so you could wear a hat like that? And Dad and I wanted to retire and travel in an RV to all the National Park sites?

Lizzie said...

Cutest pictures EVER! You did well choosing your pictures!

Jenni Hinckley said...

One time I took a test to see what I should be when I grew up, the results were... park ranger! I am glad Ashton and Benjamin are achieving my unfulfilled potential!

Derek and Becca Theurer said...

Great pictures. That looks like such an awesome vacation. Thanks for sharing.