My friend from college, Catie Dunn Stubben, passed away last Monday after three years of fighting cancer. She was first diagnosed when she was expecting her third baby, who was born (c-section) at 30 weeks so that Catie could start chemo and radiation. Her treatments proved successful, and she was cancer free for 8 months. Then the cancer returned, this time in her lungs. One year ago this week, my Courtside roommates all met in NC for a reunion weekend with Catie, and we had a miraculous time together. Then there we all were together again this weekend to attend Catie's funeral. It was a bittersweet weekend; we loved remembering our time together one year ago, but of course we were so sad for the reason for this second reunion. Catie's husband Steve was remarkably strong, as were the kids. The funeral was beautiful, and I couldn't help thinking how peaceful Catie looked, finally free from her cancer-ridden body.
Fortunately, after the funeral, Ann arrived with her kiddos and we headed to Winston-Salem for about 18 hours. What a relief to spend a little bit of time with the Rowans, seeing Wake Forest, Ashton in his cowboy costume complete with a foil belt buckle stapled to his belt, and enjoy food made by Chef Jamin. Just what I needed to fill my bucket.


Courtside roommates and other college friends by the Raleigh Temple, which is just outside Catie's ward building.
3 comments:
The infamous chaps ... that Ashton just keeps cracking me up! So glad you got to be there that weekend, you are a sweet friend. And you look so pretty.
Thanks for coming to visit me! I'll take 18 hours with you anytime I can get it!
I remember feeling so sad for you when I read about your friend on your blog last year. I'm so sorry she passed away and I know that has to be hard on you. I just wanted you to know that I'm thinking of you and that I love you!
Post a Comment