Sunday, September 16, 2007

The Dizards, At Last!


Okay, today I'm sitting down to catch up on blogs that I should have posted in August. The first, of course, is a full report of Marc and Sarah's Big Day. After sixteen months of preparation and (im)patience (including Sarah's 3 page minute by minute itinerary, send via email a week before the festivities), it was time for the rehearsal. We all went downtown to the cathedral, dressed for a party. In the spirit of sister weddings, I wore my white bridesmaid skirt from Lizzie's wedding, and the silk shantung purple wrap shirt that we briefly considered for Ada's bridesmaids and that I conveniently never returned. Much to Rob's consternation, Bus had tried to talk me into buying a new party dress for the rehearsal - all the other girls were buying new clothes. He was half-joking, knowing he would get a reaction out of Rob, but he sounded so sincere that I did buy a pair of new black shoes to wear with my chosen outfit. Peep toe, leather, 3+ inch wedges, with black grosgrain woven through the top and tied in a bow at the front. Rob wore his dream sport coat - Lands' End washable, wrinkle-free, stain-resistant poplin. Khaki pants, and a blue-check dress shirt. He looked very "should I get on my yacht this fine summer evening or glad-hand the wedding party?"

It's a little strange to explain that after all my years as a bridesmaid and a bride, I've never rehearsed the wedding. But let me tell you - I was glad we had a trial run before we had to do this for real! Deacon Jim (who is not 12 years old) took us through all the complicated walking down the aisle, up to the altar, over to the reserved benches, facing the congregation, facing the altar, cascading the wedding party over the steps (as in, creating a cascading look, not as in catapulting down the steps from the altar to the pews), and walking back up the aisle. There was one tense moment when Sarah tried to explain how she wanted the wedding party to exit the sanctuary (not how wedding parties traditionally exit at Deacon Jim's wedding), but we got it resolved before too many tears were shed. Then it was time to party at the rehearsal dinner. We ate at a charming Italian restaurant, and every course was scrumptious. Marc's father is Swiss and a hotel General Manager, so courses and divine food are important. We were delighted. Then came speeches, and gift exchanges. I got a Yummi Glass heart bracelet, Rob got a monogrammed Leatherman-ish tool. Sarah gave Marc an engraved watch. Marc gave Sarah a white gold bracelet with polka dot diamonds in it to match her wedding band. Marc and Sarah gave Jan gold earrings from Tiffany's. Bus got a silver Tiffany's money clip. Sarah scream-bawled (her definition) through most of the speeches and gifts.

August 4th dawned sunny, beautiful and HOT. As groomsmen have really nothing to do before wedding time, they all went to see The Bourne Ultimatum. The bridesmaids and women folk, on the other hand, showed up at the hotel at 9:00 a.m. to start the hair and make-up process. Mom and Ellie and I showed up quite later in the afternoon, since I was doing my own make-up, and Syd was doing my hair. No need for Syd and I to be in the professional stylist rotation. And Ellie got her morning nap. Mom was a life-saver. I really don't know how I imagined I could watch Ellie and be a bridesmaid. It would have been a complete disaster. Anyway. We were all properly attired by 3:30 p.m. and ready for bridesmaid pictures around the hotel. Then we hopped in the white Hummer limo and headed over to the cathedral. At this point, you can imagine Franc and Harold cueing the wedding party (and one, and two) as the organ beckoned us down the aisle. The ceremony was beautiful, and I think we all performed better even than rehearsal. The professional pictures show off how radiant the bride and groom were.

And then it was time to party! Back in the white Hummer limo and then to the hotel, where once again the bridal party made its entrance in pairs, this time as the DJ announced us. The room was gorgeous - soft lighting, simple stunning centerpieces (tall white calo lily), and white chair-covers. My favorite of the professional photos is Sarah seeing her cake for the first time and bursting into tears. The next shot is Marc holding Sarah while she cries about how beautiful her cake is. Mom in her stunning hot pink sat with Bus and Jan, in her stunning deep purple while Rob and I sat with the wedding party. The food was scrumptious and the reception was truly a party. Ellie lasted until 11:00, when Mom and I headed home. Rob arrived a couple hours later, and we all took very long naps on Sunday afternoon. Yay for weddings! Yay for the Dizards! (And, by the way, it's Dizard with the emphasis on the last syllable, the very opposite of lizard).

2 comments:

Lizzie said...

I love the full update, especially the "scream-bawl" part. Hilarious. I love weddings!

Unknown said...

I thoroughly enjoy the Hinckley blog and think you are all gifted writers! Marc and I are privileged to be included and I quite literally fell off my chair laughing at Holly's recap of our wedding! Thanks Holls! Sup!